In football, there are many interesting facts that few people notice. Here are some stories like that.
- In 1967, the two sides in the civil war in Nigeria have ceased the war for 2 days, to monitor the friendly match of “King of Football” Pele took place in the city of Lagos, Nigeria.
- 149-0 is the biggest score in a professional football match. It took place in the Madagascar National Championship in November 2002, which was the victory of Stade Olympique de L’emyrne against rival AS Adema because the opponent repeatedly kicked an own goal to protest the referee’s decision in the previous match.
- The maximum number of goals scored by a player in a professional match is 16 goals. That achievement belongs to Stephan Stanis, in the Lens club match (France) in December 1942.
- The youngest professional player in the world is Bryce Brites. When he was recruited by Racing Boxberg (Belgium), Bryce was just … 20 months old.
- 27 professional football teams in the world take the name of the Beatles’ songs as their nicknames. Among them, the most famous is Villarreal with the song “Yellow Submarine”.
- The largest football tournament in the world has 5,098 teams participating. It was the 7th Stadium tournament held in Bangkok, Thailand in 1999. There are about 35,000 players participating in the competition.
- FIFA World Federation has more members (209 members) than the United Nations (193 members).
- When the World Cup was held in the US in 1994, they spent only 30 million dollars to improve the infrastructure for the game. In 2014, Brazil spent $ 11 billion on the World Cup.